Friday, July 11, 2014

Optometrist and the price of glasses

In Australia unlike Malaysia, most healthcare insurance provides an option for prescription glasses (spectacles) every calendar year. As my healthcare insurance includes this cover, I visit an optometrist every 1 or 2 years.

This time round due to my age, multi focal lenses were prescribed to me for the first time. Due to the price of multi focal lenses, it appears that I would have to pay i.e. top up beyond what is covered by my healthcare insurance provider.

In Australia it is not unusual for one to see advertisement that says you only pay say $199 for two pair of glasses including lenses. As insurance cover is usually around $200/year, one would assume that one would not be required to top up any extra costs i.e. no gap, as it is called in Australia.

This visit however I decided to ask more question (unlike the past when I was not out of pocket i.e. no gap).

Firstly, $199 (sticker list price) for two pairs usually cover a limited range of frames and only include the "standard vision" lenses. If you wish to buy one pair, this retailer I went to will only deduct 25% off the $199 i.e, a cost of $199 less 25% or about $150. Looks like my maths have failed me here where if you take 1 pair instead of 2, you pay 75% off the two pairs sticker price.

My prescribed multi focal lenses were also priced on a two pairs basis, so if I choose only one pair, I get penalised by getting only 25% off the pricing for two pairs.

Secondly, there is also the other lens option which is then priced on a per pair basis by usually "recommended" including ultra clear, sun protection, thinner & lighter lenses etc. The price for this ranges from $50 to as high as $280 per pair where I shopped.

In total my 1 pair of glasses cost me around $500 before my insurance or around $300 after insurance coverage.

In future if I ever were to start my business venture, I  may consider pricing my products or services on a two or more quantity basis and if anyone wishes to buy one, it will be only less 25% or something else.

I wonder where ACCC is, on this issue?

No comments:

Post a Comment